Georgia Medical Malpractice Lawyers
A patient suffered permanent vision loss after doctors left cotton packing in his eye during surgery. Doctors failed to diagnose, treat and transfer a patient who had three heart attacks over six days, resulting in severe physical and psychological damages. A patient died after receiving an inappropriate combination of medications. A fetus perished after doctors failed to diagnose a mother’s life-threatening condition. A patient did not learn about a head tumor until six years after it had shown up on a scan.
These are all examples of medical malpractice cases that the lawyers and staff of Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley, P.C., have worked on through the years. Fortunately, they each resulted in fair and reasonable recoveries for our clients.
We count on medical professionals to use their education, training and experience to treat us with the utmost care. But when they fail to live up to that duty, we believe they need to be held fully accountable, and their victims and their families must be compensated.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one to the careless acts of a doctor, nurse, hospital or other medical or healthcare professional, call us today at (866) 354-3544 or use our online form to receive a free consultation at one of our Northeast Georgia offices in Athens or Lake Oconee. We are committed to excellence, and we are committed to helping you.
Types of Medical Malpractice
A study by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality determined that one out of every 25 hospital patients is injured by medical errors committed by doctors, nurses and other hospital staff and healthcare providers. Another study, by the National Academy of Sciences, found that medical negligence kills as many as 98,000 people each year in our nation’s hospitals.
There are many different types of medical errors that can occur, and several different parties who can be at fault, including doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, radiologists and others. Common examples of medical malpractice include:
- Failing to timely or accurately diagnose a condition or respond to patient symptoms. This occurs most frequently in emergency rooms, but it can also involve a failure by specialists to identify conditions, such as cancer, heart or lung disease.
- Misreading X-rays, CT scans or MRI scans.
- Surgical errors, such as organ perforation, anesthesia mistakes or leaving a foreign object in the body.
- Providing a patient with an improper or lethal combination of medications, including medicine that triggers allergic reactions.
- Failing to monitor equipment that tracks a patient’s vital signs.
- Failing to communicate and respond to situations that arise during child delivery, which can harm the mother or infant. Common birth injuries include shoulder dystocia and oxygen deprivation, which can lead to permanent, debilitating conditions such as cerebral palsy.
- Failure to adequately care for the patient’s hygiene and nutrition while in the hospital, causing bedsores, bacterial infections and dehydration.
- The use or implantation of a defective medical device, such as flawed surgical mesh or faulty hip and knee implants.
- Prescribing dangerous medicines or prescribing medicines for “off-label” uses.
At Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley, P.C., we make sure to conduct a thorough investigation of medical injuries in order to determine how they occurred and who was responsible. We dedicate our talented attorneys, highly qualified staff and reliable medical experts to evaluate evidence and find answers that patients and their families deserve. The more evidence we collect, we believe the stronger your case will be.
Delivering Results for Georgia Medical Malpractice Victims
The stakes are high in medical negligence cases, whether they involve a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. Doctors, nurses and hospitals – and their insurance companies – tend to vigorously challenge malpractice claims. They will contest whether a medical error occurred, and whether it caused the patient’s injuries.
Although our medical malpractice lawyers have a successful record of securing timely, cost-efficient settlements for our medical malpractice clients, we have also gone to court in numerous cases to obtain the compensation our clients need and deserve.
Our medical malpractice results include:
- $9 million settlement with a hospital and doctors for failing to secure a child’s endotracheal tube, resulting in the child suffering severe brain damage.
- $5.5 million settlement for a patient who suffered brain damage following a hypoxic episode in a hospital operating room.
- $3 million combined settlement with a hospital and doctors for failing to adequately train for, prepare for and perform minimally invasive heart surgery, resulting in vessel disruption and death of two patients.
- $2.2 million verdict against a physician for failing to use a particular neurosurgical system, which resulted in the patient’s substantial neurological impairment.
- $2 million settlement with a hospital and physicians for the death of a three-year-old child as the result of surgery and post-operative complications.
- $1.175 million settlement with a hospital and physicians for failure to diagnose a small bowel perforation, leading to sepsis (blood poisoning), multi-organ failure and death.
- $1 million settlement with a physician for failing to diagnose a bacterial infection resulting in death.
In every case, our ultimate goal is to make sure you are fully compensated for your medical expenses (including any complications that result from the medical error), lost wages, mental anguish, emotional distress and other economic and non-economic damages. We may also pursue punitive damages to punish and deter especially reckless medical negligence.
Contact Our Georgia Medical Malpractice Attorneys Today
Since 1984, the law firm of Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley, P.C., has assisted victims and their families in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits from across Georgia in the cities of Atlanta, Albany, Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Brunswick and Savannah, as well as Athens, Greensboro, Eatonton, Winder, Commerce, Covington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Elberton, Hartwell, Homer, Lexington, Crawford, Gainesville, Milledgeville, Winterville, Hull, Danielsville, Comer, Colbert, Watkinsville and Bogart and surrounding Northeast Georgia communities in Clarke, Oconee, Barrow, Banks, Franklin, Hall, Habersham, Stephens, Jasper, Jones, Baldwin, Hart, Elbert, Greene, Putnam, Columbia, Richmond, Newton, Jackson, Madison, Morgan, Walton and Oglethorpe counties. Our lawyers have also been involved in significant, complex nationwide litigation, and we have represented clients and tried cases in many other states across the country.
Our Georgia medical malpractice attorneys are innovative
counselors and aggressive advocates who have been recognized
by Super Lawyers, the American College of Trial Lawyers and
The Best Lawyers in America, among others, for the quality
of their legal skill and professional service.
If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one to a medical error, call us today at (866) 354-3544 or use our online form to receive a free consultation. We won’t simply refer your case to another law firm. We will listen to you, answer your questions and work with you to map out a path to legal relief.